Monday, March 3, 2008

A Helmet from "The Hunters"

A few days ago I came across this photo of a helmet from Fighter Squadron 162 "The Hunters." This helmet is from the personal collection of Andrea Salimbeti, an Italian collector of US Navy flight helmets and flight gear. Some of his impressive collection can be found at www.flightgear.dk. Anyway, I was so excited to find this helmet from VF-162 that I just had post it. This helmet is a US Navy APH-6A with the A13A oxygen mask. I believe this particular design incorporating the cluster of six gold stars was first used by "The Hunters" on their 1967 WestPac cruise. I will have to check my dad's 1965 and 1966 Oriskany cruise books, but I think they had a more simplified star and spearhead design prior to 1966. I hope to someday own my own APH-6 helmet and customize it with the striking black and gold design of the fearsome "Hunters".

No comments: